Cognitive Games: Are there simple but not childish books and puzzles for people with dementia or Alzheimer’s?
Are there simple but not childish books and puzzles for people with dementia or Alzheimer’s?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate for your particular situation. Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.
Playing games and assembling puzzles is a great way to foster your relationship with your wife and care for each other. However, cognitive impairments, such as dementia and Alzheimer’s, can make keeping up with games and puzzles hard.
Luckily, there are some dementia-friendly products on the market. Eugeria, a company specializing in creating products for caregivers of people with Alzheimer’s and cognitive impairments, has several games and puzzles on their website:
- Keeping Busy Adaptive Jigsaw Puzzles come with an undermat on which the outline of the puzzle pieces is layout out in different colour sections. Doing the puzzle one colour section at a time can help guide people through the puzzle in sequences and ensure a successful assembly. The product costs around $25(CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Relish - Aquapaint are paintings that become visible when you brush water onto the canvas. These pre-painted paintings are great for emulating painting while honing motor skills. A set of five images costs around $30(CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Relish Game - Adapted Bingo comes with a CD of authentic animal and instrument sounds and age-appropriate images on the bingo cards. The product costs around $45(CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Keeping Busy - Game - Wooden Tangram Puzzle is an easy-to-use seven-piece puzzle. Place the wooden pieces on the template to recreate the suggested shapes. The product costs around $30(CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Coloring tablecloth – BiMoo is a patterned tablecloth you can draw on with washable markers. It is in sparking one’s creativity and honing fine motor skills. The product costs around $40(CDN), plus additional shipping fees.