Camera accessories: Is there a device that can help someone with arthritis use a camera?
Is there a device that can help someone with arthritis use a camera?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate in your particular situation.
It's important for people with arthritis to be able to continue to do the activities they love, including photography. There are a number of items on the market that may provide some assistance with maintaining this hobby.
Below are a few items that may be useful to support the weight of the camera:
- Photo HSG-2 DualStrap-DLX Padded Wrist and Grip Strap for DSLR Cameras by Movo (at amazon.ca) is a wrist strap with padding designed to prevent the camera from being dropped and provide stability when taking photos and videos. This item costs about $35 (Cdn) plus an additional shipping fee. Depending on the joints most affected by arthritis, a neck strap may also be helpful together with the wrist strap. The JJC NS-J2 Camera strap (at amazon.com) may be of interest to you. This item costs about $16 (U.S) plus an additional shipping fee.
- Monopod by Manfrotto (at manfrotto.ca) is a single pole designed for a camera to be held steadier. There are several options compatible with a range of cameras and the prices are between about $50 - $350 (Cdn) plus an additional shipping fee.
- Glide gear SNC100 Snorricam DSLR Vest Harness by B&H (at bhphotovideo.com) distributes the weight of the camera across the photographer’s upper body. This product costs about $270 (Cdn) plus an additional shipping fee.
To help with the functioning of the camera, there are several shutter-release remotes on the market that can be connected to the camera. Below are three options that you may find useful, depending on the brand of camera you are using:
- Wired remote shutter release RS-60E3 by Neewer (at bestbuy.ca) is about $20 (Cdn) plus an additional shipping fee.
- TW-283 DC0 Wireless Shutter Remote control Wired Release Cable for Nikon by Pixel (at amazon.ca) about $50 (Cdn) plus an additional shipping fee.
- AmazonBasics Wireless Remote Control for Canon Digital SLR Cameras by AmazonBasics (at amazon.ca) costs about $12 (Cdn) plus an additional shipping fee.