Wheelchair flashlight: Is there a flashlight that can easily attach to a wheelchair?
Is there a flashlight that can easily attach to a wheelchair?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate in your particular situation.
Making sure that your father has a bright light on his wheelchair when going outdoors at night is a great way to promote his visibility and safety in the dark. Below are direct links to some examples of wheelchair lights, which range in price from about $15 to $40 (Cdn):
- LED Wheelchair/Walker Light by Life Mounts (at amazon.ca) is a battery powered light that can be seen for over 1,000 feet. The light has 3 modes: high, low and safety strobe and also has a multi-position swivel, allowing it to adjust 360 degrees. This light is easy to mount on most wheelchairs and costs about $30 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
- Light and Go Mobility Light by Drive Medical (at Staples Canada) easily attaches to most wheelchairs, canes, and walkers. This battery-powered light consists of 3 bright, LED lights for enhanced visibility and costs about $20 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
- Flashlight with Attachment by Nova Medical Products (at amazon.ca) is a battery powered light that attaches to most wheelchairs and transport chairs. This product costs about $20 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
Your father may also be interested in knowing about headlamps, which are wearable flashlights that you can easily place on your head before heading out in the dark. Here are direct links to a couple of examples:
- Streamlight STL61050 Trident LED (at Walmart Canada) is a battery-powered headlamp that includes three LEDs and an adjustable elastic head strap. This device costs about $60 to $80 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
- Fenix HL60R Headlamp (at Mountain Equipment Co-Op) is a compact headlamp with 5 modes, including a red light for night vision. This headlamp is also waterproof and has a side switch for easy operation. This device costs about $100 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.