Vacuum robots: What products would help my aunt clean her house following surgery?
What products would help my aunt clean her house following surgery?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate for your particular situation. Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.
It should be noted that robot vacuums and mops are not recommended to replace their upright counterparts. They are best used as a maintenance tool between more intense cleans. On a general note, most vacuum robots sense ledges and stairs, avoid furniture and walls, and maneuver around potential stuck situations. More advanced models can map your floor plan and maneuver around small objects and pet waste.
Below, we've listed:
- Robot Mops that work exclusively on hard floors and use a wet clean.
- Robot Vacuums that work on various surfaces and use a floor cleaner brush and suction.
- Robot Vacuum and Mop Combos that can mop and vacuum your hard-surfaced floors.
If you have trouble deciding which one is best for you, visit one of the stores below and speak to a sales representative with your specific questions.
Before looking at the robot cleaners, you might want to consider some lightweight vacuums:
- Featherweight Stick Vac (at Bissell) is a bagless vacuum that weighs only four pounds, converts to a handheld vacuum, and is a good choice for people with Osteoarthritis. The product is also available on Amazon Canada and costs around $45 to $60 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Dirt Devil SD22020 Power Express Lite Stick Vacuum (at Amazon Canada) is a corded vacuum that weighs under four pounds. The product costs around $60 to $70 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- iRobot Braava Jet240 Mopping Robot costs around $250 to $350 (CDN) and is available online from Canadian Tire.
- Shark RV754CA ION Robot Vacuum (at SharkClean Canada) has three brush types, side brushes, channel brushes, and a multi-surface brush roll, to handle debris on all surfaces. You can use the SharkClean app to start and stop the device from your phone and schedule cleans. It has a 120-minute runtime. The product costs around $300 to $350 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- iRobot Roomba 694 Robot Vacuum (at iRobot Canada) Dual Multi-Surface Brushes work together to grab dust, dirt, and large debris to help thoroughly clean your floors. The first brush loosens, lifts, and pulls in dust, dirt, and hair from floors and on the carpet. The second brush accelerates debris into the suction channel. The Edge-Sweeping Brush is specially designed at a 27-degree angle to sweep trash away from edges and corners. The product costs around $350 to $400 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- iRobot Roomba 960 Robot Vacuum (at Lowe's) comes with the features of the 694 model. Also, it maps out your floor plan and avoids obstacles easier and more efficiently than the 694 model. This device costs about $900 (CDN).
- iRobot Roomba j7+ (at Best Buy) includes features such as an automatic dirt disposal system and the "Clean while I'm away" mode This device costs about $1,000 (CDN).
Robot mop and vacuum combo
- Bissell SpinWave 2-in-1 Robot Mop and Vacuum (at Amazon Canada) vacuums and mops your floors and can be controlled through their app. Soft Surface Avoidance Sensors avoid your area rugs and carpet while the robot is in wet mopping mode. The product costs around $450 to $500 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Ecovacs Deebot N7 Robot Vacuum and Mop (at Amazon Canada) vacuums and mops in one go and maps out your floorplan. You can dedicate "no go" zones in the app, which the robot will avoid entering. The product costs around $500 to $550 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Roborock s7 Robot Vacuum and Mop (at Amazon Canada) is a mop and vacuum unit in one and uses sound vibration to scrub the floor up to 3,000 times per minute. It has a 300 ml electronic water tank and can clean stains from coffee, mud, juice, and more. The product costs around $850 to $950 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees. The advanced version Roborock S7+ is available at Best Buy Canada for around $1400 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
Check out "The Best Affordable Robot Vacuums of 2022" on Reviewed.com for more information.
If your aunt has movement restrictions from her recent hip surgery, she will likely need assistance setting up the Robot Mop/Vacuum and changing the pads, filters, and batteries.