Mindfulness apps: How can I cope with the stress of caring for a spouse with dementia?
How can I cope with the stress of caring for a spouse with dementia?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate in your particular situation.
It’s wonderful to hear that in the midst of caring for your wife you are also taking care of yourself by seeing a counsellor and seeking other supports.
There are many apps that help people develop healthy coping practices, such as mindfulness and meditation, on a daily basis. Most are free but have options for paid “premium” membership.
Here are direct links to a few apps for Apple devices that you might want to explore:
- Calm provides guided meditations, “sleep stories,” breathing programs and relaxing music.
- Mindfulness Coach was developed for people who may be experiencing emotional distress and for those wanting to maintain healthy coping practices.
- Aware – Mindfulness Meditation provides a course in mindfulness and exercises to help you remain calm throughout the day.
For those using Android devices, here are direct links to a couple of options:
- Headspace provides guided meditation and mindfulness activities.
- Aware – Mindfulness Meditation gradually teaches skills to reduce anxiety and stress.
You may also be interested in visiting the Ability411 resources page, which offers some useful information on caregiver supports in the community.
Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.