Long-reach cleaning tools: What products will help me clean the house, despite my limited mobility?
What products will help me clean the house, despite my limited mobility?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate for your particular situation. Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.
A severe back injury can greatly affect the activities of daily living, including a person’s ability to do housework. With that being said, there are a number of household cleaning products and devices that are specially designed to help reduce the effort involved in everyday cleaning. Below are direct links to some examples of products you may wish to explore:
- Rubbermaid Lobby Pro Upright Dust Pan (at Staples) eliminates the need to bend down to pick up the dustpan when sweeping. This product, which does not come with a broom, costs about $30 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- Broom and Dustpan with Long Handle (at Amazon Canada) comes with both an upright dustpan and broom and eliminates the need to bend down when sweeping. This product, which offers an ergonomic soft grip handle, costs about $35 to $45 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
For dusting and scrubbing:
- Swiffer Dusters Extender Starter Kit (at Canadian Tire) includes one extendable handle, which extends up to three feet, and two 360-degree unscented dusters. This product, which costs about $10 to $15 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees, can also be purchased at a number of other Canadian online retailers, including London Drugs and Walmart Canada.
- Long Handled Cleaning Sponge by Drive Medical (at Liberty Med) can be used for everyday household chores and for personal bathing. This product, which comes with a 30-inch handle and a sponge mounted on an angle, is designed to relieve the need to overextend while cleaning. The Long Handled Cleaning Sponge costs about $10 to $20 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
- High Reach Cleaning Kit (at Amazon Canada) contains all of the necessary items required for a basic clean. Each kit includes a 10-foot handle and a variety of attachments, including a sponge/squeegee head, a static duster and a cloth mop head. This product costs about $85 (CDN), plus additional shipping fees.
It's also important to ensure that you're using proper posture while performing any cleaning chores. For example, make sure that you bend at the knees rather than the waist when stooping or reaching down, avoid twisting or awkward postures, especially if you're holding anything heavy, and take frequent breaks. An article published by the Cleveland Clinic provides more information on posture guidelines for sitting, standing, lifting, squatting and reaching with lower back pain.