Limited mobility & grooming: What tools can help my grandma care for her hair?
What tools can help my grandma care for her hair?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate in your particular situation.
To wash her hair, your grandma could try pouring some shampoo onto a long-handled sponge or brush and then rubbing her hair with it. For hair drying, consider a device that holds a blow dryer on a counter or vanity.
Below are some direct links to examples of these products, which range in price from $20 to $60 (Cdn):
- Beauty Hair Washer (at Groupe ERP) is a lightweight, ergonomically designed hair washing aid that allows users to reach their entire scalp during shampooing.
- Aidapt Long-Handled Brush and Comb Set (at eBay Canada) features extra-long, ergonomically-designed handles with rubber grip.
- Drive Hair Dryer Holder (at LifeSupply) can be placed on a counter or table. Its flexible neck adjusts to any position and holds any blow dryer; foam padding holds the dryer in place.
- Pard Desktop Hair Dryer Stand Holder (at amazon.ca) uses a heavy duty-suction cup that attaches instantly to a tabletop and features 360-degree rotation.
If your grandma has weak grip strength, she may need to use foam tubing to improve her ability to hold the long-handled brush/comb or hair washer. Below is a direct link to an example of such a product:
- Color Coded Handle Foam by SP Ableware-Maddak (at ArthritisSupplies.com) can help to increase the size of the handle on hard to grasp items. This product is available from a U.S. retailer and costs about $14 (U.S.), plus an additional shipping fee.
Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.