Anti-slip bath products: What product will keep me from slipping in the shower?
What product will keep me from slipping in the shower?
Products mentioned in our answer below are provided to inform you about the types of technologies available and have not been evaluated by CanAssist. They may or may not be appropriate in your particular situation.
Bathroom slip and falls can cause serious injury, so it is important to take steps to make your bathroom as safe as possible. There are a number of products on the market that can help to prevent falls in the bathroom. Below are direct links to some examples of such products:
- SlipX Solutions Extra Long Vinyl Bath Mat (at amazon.ca) is made of high-quality, anti-slip vinyl and provides 30 percent more coverage than the average bath mat. This product, which has nearly 200 suction cups that hold it firmly in place, costs about $20 to $25 (Cdn).
- Microban Large Rubber Safety Tub Mat (at Bed, Bath & Beyond Canada) offers slip-resistant protection and is machine washable. This product costs about $20 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
- Round Shower Mat (at wayfair.ca) is a specially shaped anti-slip mat that provides convenient floor coverage in a standard shower stall. This product, which features over 80 suction cups for reliable slip protection, costs about $40 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
It is recommended that you place a non-slip mat inside your shower as well as outside (where you step to exit the shower). For outside the shower, select a bath mat with non-slip backing rather than suction cups. Below are direct links to a couple of examples:
- For Living Bath Mat (at Canadian Tire) features a soft top layer with a non-slip backing for secure footing. This product costs about $25 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
- Hometrends Memory Foam Blue Melange Rug (at Walmart Canada) has a soft texture and a skid-resistant backing for added safety. This product costs about $20 (Cdn).
For added support when bathing, you may also want to know about grab bars, which are designed to provide additional support when getting into and out of the shower or tub. If you choose to purchase a grab bar, it is recommended that you have it professionally installed. Here are direct links to some examples of products you may want to explore:
- 1-1/2 inch Securemount Grab Bar (at Home Depot Canada) is an ADA compliant grab bar with a textured surface, making it easier to grip onto. This product costs about $50 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee.
- Chrome Knurled Grab-Bar (at HME Mobility & Accessibility) is a steel bar designed to provide added security in and around the bathroom. This product, which is available in a number of sizes, ranges in price from about $30 to $50 (Cdn), plus a shipping fee. HME Mobility & Accessibility also offers professional installation for an added charge. For more information, call HME Mobility & Accessibility toll-free at 1-778-734-1981.
Some technologies and devices may require an in-person assessment. Speak with your health care provider for additional information and support.